I started running back in January and entered myself into a 10k race to have something to aim towards. The race is now in two weeks and as of yesterday I hadn't completed the distance. I'd get to 6.5k and feel an overwhelming desire to stop and CTFO. So, one psychotic, order-barking friend later, I decided to hit the park to get it sorted. Here is how it went down.
1. Meet POBF outside the Ritz. Wonder how I changed from being the kind of person who spent Sunday afternoon drinking at The Wolseley, just down the road, to somebody about to run pointlessly around the park for an hour. Start running.
2. Have to stop and fuss around with my anorak, bum bag, iPod and keys, all of which are annoying me. Risk feeling the wrath of the POBF, who stayed surprisingly calm. Keep running.
3. Onto Hyde Park. Happily remember times I used to come here and rollerskate. Wish I was on rollerskates. Run.
4. Things start getting tough. There's an uphill bit. Luckily Michael Jackson comes on and saves my life. Decide that Off The Wall is literally the best running music ever. Then Marvin comes on and I think about how much I love Marvin.
5. Nice to get to the Serpentine and run next to the water. Unfortunately my knee starts to really hurt and I start thinking I might have to stop. Which would be fatal.
6. Knee keeps giving way. Am very, very close to telling POBF that I need to stop but decide to keep going.
7. Made it through knee pain! Try to shake out my legs as I run, as they're completely locked into a running shape and I look like the Tin Man. Realise I'm losing the plot a bit. We still have 30 minutes running to do. ARGH. Minnie Riperton comes on the iPod and she gives me wings. A bit.
8. Am in the post 6.5k zone now. Never run this far or long before. The Pixies come on and give me wings.
9. Am basically now in survival mode. Keep asking POBF how far we have to run. Start suspecting that she is lying to me and making me run more than 10k. Descend into paranoid madness. We're running past Speakers' Corner and I wonder why the f*ck people still come to listen to the nutters. At least that takes my mind off the pain. Apparently someone cycles past me on a penny-farthing, but I don't even notice.
10. DONE. POBF insists on running a little bit further but my legs are locked with stiffness and my knees and ankles hurt. So I'm done. It took us 1hr and 10 mins. But I'm already looking forward to the next run. Sometimes I don't even recognise myself anymore. Luckily, I reverted straight back to old Caroline and went out dancing and drinking wine straight afterwards. On a Sunday. Feeling great today.
Anyone else get up to quixotic endeavours at the week? Oh, and any running recommendations to lessen the pain? Which songs give you wings?